Housing and Development Board (HDB) is a statutory board under the Ministry of National Development (MND). It was formed in 1970 to provide public housing for Singapore citizens and Foreign Workers. HDB currently owns an average of 66% of all residential properties in Singapore, with a total of 769,399 units. While the majority of HDB residents live in public housing flats, some choose to rent privately or live on their land. However, as more people have taken up ownership of their own homes, there has been an increase in demand for HDB flats.
This has led to empty homes becoming a problem as HDB flats remain unoccupied for long periods due to financial constraints and a lack of available rentals. To tackle this issue, HDB has introduced a new system called Open Booking, which allows eligible applicants to apply for an open unit without the need for any upfront payments or deposits. So in this article, we will be sharing with you all the important tips you need to know about open booking the HDB, who can open book the HDB and why you should open book the HDB. So sit tight and put on your reading glasses.
What is HDB Open Booking?
Due to the increasing amount of public homes that have been left unoccupied, open booking has been adapted into the Housing Development plan of the Singapore government. In effect, open booking is a new service introduced to help reduce the number of empty homes in public housing estates. With this system, eligible applicants can submit their application online for an open unit without any upfront payments or deposits.
Who is eligible for a Housing Development Board (HDB) open booking?
Since we already know what open booking is as a service, let us talk about exactly who can have access to this service. To be eligible for open booking, you must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You are a Singapore citizen
The HDB open booking service is only available to citizens of the country and no foreigners.
- Your annual income
Your annual household income is not more than $12,000. If your annual income exceeds this limit, you will be required to apply for an HDB loan or concessionary housing scheme instead of an open booking
- Long term stay in Singapore
You must have been living in Singapore for at least 12 months and more before submitting your application.
These are just a few of the most important criteria for applying for an HDB open book. Now on to the application process.
How to Apply for HDB Open Booking
To apply for HDB open booking, all you have to do is fill out an application form and provide the necessary documents. For the application process, there are a few steps you’ll need to follow:
- Fill out the application form. Make sure to take out time and fill out the application form with accurate details of all requested information. This is important because an accurate application form reduces the risk of slowing your selection process.
- Provide any relevant documentation like your income tax statement or letter of employment. Always make sure that all required documents are available, up to date and valid.
- Submit your completed application form and other documents to the HDB office with your contact number. Note again to submit correct contact details. This is the information that will be used to contact you in case there is any trouble with your application.
- Next, you have to be patient and wait for a call from an HDB officer to confirm that you’re eligible for open booking. If approved, you will be contacted by HDB with more information about how to proceed further with the process, including whether you’re required to make any payments at this point or not.
- Once contacted, you will be interviewed by an HDB officer who will determine if you are fit to proceed. From here on, you would’ve done your part, and the rest is all up to the Housing Development Board.
To apply for the Housing Development Board’s open booking service, you will need to provide your particulars. This includes your name, occupation details and contact information. You will also need a valid ID card which is used as proof of residence in Singapore. Additionally, you will be required to submit a photocopy of your NRIC (non-returnable identity card) that shows your name and identification number for verification purposes.
Advantages of applying for an HDB open booking
Every service has its perks, here is why you should consider applying for the HDB open booking service;
- There are no upfront payments or deposits. SO it is primarily free access.
- The application process is fast and easy since there is no queue, and you do not have to wait in line.
- You can choose your preferred location. This is the best part. You not only get to choose your home, but you also get to choose exactly where you would want it to be.
Consistently changing market conditions mean the eligibility criteria for open bookings are constantly under review. We advise you to go to the HDB website or blog to find out if you are eligible for an open booking. If you are eligible, proceed to fill in the application form. After submitting the form, you will receive a call from HDB with further instructions on how to proceed. . If you are successful in securing an open booking, you will be put into contact with your assigned agent who will guide you on what to do next.
Useful Tips and Tricks on Applying for HDB Open Booking
In case you are still a little bit rattled, here is a summary of all you need to remember to get approved for an HDB open bok.
- Be a Singapore Citizen. To apply for an open unit, you must first be a Singapore citizen. This means that you must have a Singapore ID and passport to prove your citizenship.
- Meet income eligibility requirements
- To qualify for the Open Booking scheme, your household income should fall within the following criteria:
- Household income of $3,000 or less per month
- Earnings from employment need not exceed $3,800 per month.
- If both parents are working, their combined earnings need not exceed $6,100 per month.
- If only one parent is working, the maximum monthly household income needs to be below $4,300
- The total household income of all adults in the family cannot exceed $10,000 per month.
The application process requires each member of the household to fill out their particulars and submit them along with their recent salary slips at the HDB office or online on their official website.
Individuals and companies need to apply for HDB Open Booking. HDB Open Booking is a service that allows the Singaporean government to conduct their business transparently. This is especially important for companies that do not have the capability of opening their bank account or applying for grants. If you are looking to apply for HDB Open Booking, the Singaporean government has set a list of required documents that are needed to be submitted to be considered.
If you are in search of a home, and you have an idea of just what you want and where you want it, then the HDB open booking service is just for you. The Housing Development plan put in place by the government of Singapore is aimed at providing citizens with affordable homes at a location of their choice; it is the best of both worlds. Get on the HDB official website and get started on your open book application.