A provisional driving licence is a document that allows the holder to legally drive a car and ride motorcycles. You can get a provisional driving licence when you are 18 years old. However, you must pass the theory test before you can drive with this type of licence. The Theory Test consists of 5 questions and 10 minutes to complete. If you fail the theory test, you will not be able to apply for your Provisional Driving Licence in Singapore anymore. This is because a Provisional Driving Licence does not allow for any additional tests or interviews after the first one has been completed.
The information in this article has been carefully researched and put together to facilitate your access to accurate information. All you need to do is read through this article carefully. The good news is that you can take your theory test again as often as required, and it is free. If you have already held your Provisional Driving Licence for 12 months but still need to take the Theory Test, then there are 2 options for taking this test:
1) Take your theory test online
2) Take your theory test onsite
What are the requirements for holding a Provisional Driving Licence?
A Provisional Driving Licence is granted to individuals who meet the following requirements. You must be:
- At least 18 years old. This is the first qualification for getting a driving licence in Singapore.
- Have a learner’s permit for over one year.
- You also need to pass the theory test with a mark of 80 per cent or higher.
Provisional Driving Licences are offered to learners who have not yet passed their theory test and wish to practice before they take the practical driving examination. You will be able to retake your theory test up until you pass it, at no charge! Keep in mind that if after two attempts at taking the Theory Test, or three months since you failed it for whatever reason, then a major change has occurred in your life (such as marriage/divorce) that would lead us to assess whether reinstatement of your Provisional Driving Licence is still appropriate.
what exactly is the theory test
The theory test is a very important step to becoming a fully licensed driver. The test consists of 5 questions and 10 minutes to complete it. If you fail the theory test, you may not be able to get your Provisional Driving Licence in Singapore. This is because a Provisional Driving Licence does not allow for any additional tests or interviews after the first one has been completed.
If you have already held your Provisional Driving Licence for 12 months but still need to take the Theory Test, then there are 2 options for taking this test:
1) Take your theory test online
2) Take your theory test by appointment at the following centres:
- Khatib Centre
- Bedok Traffic Police Division
- Jurong Traffic Police Division
- Yishun Traffic Police Division
- Central Traffic Command (CTC)
- Boon Lay Traffic Police Division (BTPD).
How to take the theory test online
You can take your theory test for the Provisional Driving Licence online. To do this, you will need to register with the website and then view all of the available dates for the Theory Tests. When you are ready to book a date/time slot for a Theory Test, simply click on the calendar icon and select which day/time you would like to take your test.
If you have already taken a Theory Test but need to retake it, there are 2 options for doing this; you can take your theory test online, or you can take your theory test by contacting PassPlus.
How to take the theory test offline
If you decide that taking the theory test offline is more convenient for you, then you can go to any one of the following organisations:
1) Public Service Division – near the main checkpoint at Paya Lebar Airbase;
2) Public Service Division – in front of Kallang Theatre; or
3) Technical and Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA).
To take your theory test offline, you will need a photocopy of your Provisional Driving Licence and ID card. If your provisional driving licence is not with you, then show the identification card that comes with it instead.
How to renew your driving licence in Singapore
The Singapore driving licence is renewable every 5 years for foreigners. For citizens, the driving license is valid for 5 years plus. This option is not available for you if your Provisional Driving Licence has expired or been revoked. The first thing that you need to know about applying for a provisional driving licence in Singapore is that it is not possible to apply when you are 18 years old. The other important fact to know is that the process of getting a provisional driving licence in Singapore is quick. In Singapore, it only takes 2 working days for your provisional driving licence to arrive at your doorstep, so don’t take too long in applying.
Tips on how to pass the theory test
Taking the theory test can be a little daunting, especially for first-timers. In this article, we will be talking about a few tips on how to get ready for the provisional driving licence theory test. With just a little bit of focus and determination, you can get your Driving licence in no time. Here is what you need to remember;
- Remember to take your time and don’t rush through the test. You need to focus and give yourself time to understand the questions before answering any.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help from a friend or family member if you need it. There is no shame; everyone needs help now and then. Don’t hesitate to ask for assistance from loved ones who have passed the theory test.
- Make sure you know your rights as a learner driver in Singapore. This enables you to know when any authority is crossing the line.
- It is okay to ask the examiners for help. If necessary, ask the examiner where you can find the answers to some of the questions.
- The theory test is not meant to cover all aspects of driving but is simply meant to train you on how to handle your licence, and it also teaches about your rights as a driver. Your final driving licence will have all that information covered required by the authority.
Provisional driving licences offer the opportunity to drivers to practice with a licensed driving instructor before they are ready to take the full test. They are ideal for drivers who are not yet ready for the real thing yet want to gain some experience on the road. This way, you not only get a licence, but you also get to learn how to drive from the best instructors in the country, and you get to learn about your rights. Are you 18 and above? Don’t be scared to get registered and trained as a legal driver.