Stellenbosch University (SU) is a public higher learning and research institution located in Stellenbosch, a town in South Africa’s Western Cape Province. Prospective students have two options for applying to the institution: via the Stellenbosch University online application portal or through a manual application process. Over the years, Stellenbosch faculties offer various on-campus and online degree courses to aspiring candidates.
The institute’s mission is to attract world-class academic talents and staff in its mission to connect the world. Besides that, SU strives to transform and enrich the lives of the local, continental, and global communities. Given that, SU emphasises its commitment to values such as accountability, compassion, excellence, equity, and respect. These values play an essential role in shaping the university’s code of ethics.
When can I submit my Stellenbosch University online application 2021?
Each year, the institution enrolment cycle begins on March 1st. But postgraduate enrollments are subject to faculty set dates. But you might ask, what is the latest you can apply for university? In 2020, SU’s opening and closing dates are as follows:
- April 1: the opening of financial assistance requests
- June 30: end of undergraduate programs submissions
- June 30: end of residence requests
- August 31: end of the application period for Stellenbosch financial assistance
- September 1: beginning date of National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) bursaries submissions
- November 30: closing date of NSFAS bursaries applications
- February 20, 2021: closing date of Diploma in Public Accountability (Telematic Education) applications
However, you may like to know how to apply to Stellenbosch University.
Apply to Stellenbosch University
Before beginning your Stellenbosch University application, you will need the following:
- A valid email address, preferably a Gmail one. Also, ensure you have a functioning cell phone number. Typically, SU sends correspondence about applications via email and short text messages.
- It is not obligatory to send a hard copy of your University of Stellenbosch application if you apply online. Even so, paper-based applications require you to download Stellenbosch University application forms.
- Ensure you fill all required University of Stellenbosch application fields. Note, mandatory fields are marked in red.
- After filling the required fields, click the Finalize button to complete an application. Note that, this button becomes available after filling all the required sections. Additionally, SU’s online platform highlights Completed sections in green.
- The processing of Stellenbosch applications occurs after finalising an admission bid and uploading supporting documents. But this must be done before the indicated closing dates.
- Upon completing the above steps, you receive a username (student number) and a password for tracking the status of your admission request. However, meeting the minimum requirements or obtaining a student number does not guarantee acceptance into a program.
- Fortunately, it is not necessary that you complete your online submission in a single session. In case of power outages, SU’s portal saves your online application data for retrieval later.
NB: In case you send a hard copy proposal as well, SU considers your submitted online application as the valid one. However, if you have any inquiries about the online application process, feel free to contact SU at Stellenbosch University address or via 021 808 9111.
Stellenbosch University online application requirements
What documents are needed to apply for university? Stellenbosch recently adopted a new Admissions Policy, which requires applicants to have an Umalusi certified National Senior Certificate (NSC) with at least 50% score or above in four mandatory subjects. Also, you must:
- Have obtained the minimum requirements for international curriculum (either Cambridge International, International Baccalaureate (IB), and others) as set by South Africa’s Matriculation Board. Visit the website to find out more about the minimum requirements for O-Levels, A-level, AS Level, IB Diplomas, GCSE, HIGCSE, and IGCSE.
- Sit and pass the National Benchmark Tests (NBTs). But if you are looking to study Law, Medicine, and Health Services, you must sit for your NBT before 30th June for eligibility.
- Besides, you need to satisfy faculty-specific requirements.
Use the download link to the University of Stellenbosch prospectus. In it, you will learn more about the minimum admission requirements for undergraduate programs. If you choose to apply manually; then, submit an appropriately completed Stellenbosch University application form in person or by post.
SU has the following faculties with each having its respective departments and degree programs:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Economics and Management
- Military Services
Besides, you can pursue some programs which are available as Stellenbosch University online courses or short courses.
Tracking your online application
To track your Stellenbosch online application status, visit the link on the university’s website. Next, input your Username and Password, then, click Sign In. In case you forget your login details, click the link Forgot your password; on the bottom left corner of the login page. Make sure to have a cell phone with you or a working email address to reset your password. After resetting your password, login into the portal to track your Stellenbosch application status.
Also, you can visit SU’s Self Help Support Site for specialized assistance.
Stellenbosch University online application fees
Now that you are ready to apply, how much is the application fee for Stellenbosch University? Regardless of the submission mode you choose (paper-based or online), the registration fee is R100 for native applicants. On the contrary, international applicants and University Business School applicants are exempt from the fee.
We hope that our guide will help you to become one of the Maties, which is the nickname of the Stellenbosch University students. Stellenbosch University online application eliminates the rigours involved when applying to this prestigious South African university. Since its inception, it has distinguished itself as a premier academic institution in South Africa and across the globe. No doubt, SU is a research-intensive institution that could fit well with your professional and academic development goals.