Wits University is indisputably one of the best institutions that students want to study at. Rated as one of the best universities according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities and Centre for World University Rankings, the citadel of learning was initially founded as the South African School of Mines in Kimberley in 1896. If you are considering applying to the institution, the necessary information, including Wits online application, the courses that they offer and the processes involved in the registration, are discussed in this article.
Fully known as the University of Witwatersrand, Wits is the third oldest South African university, and it has several campuses that are spread over 400 acres in the northern areas of central Johannesburg. As a multi-campus South African public research university, it is rooted in the mining industry. Wits have five faculties with more than 3,400 courses and 33 schools.
Wits University courses offered
Wits University courses have been strategically designed to help students achieve their dreams and become relevant in the marketplace. So, if you are you considering the institution, here are the courses offered at Wits University.
Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
- Bachelor of Science in Urban and Regional Planning – BSc (URP)
- Bachelor of Science in Property Studies – BSc (PS)
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Studies- BSc (CS)
- Bachelor of Architectural Studies – BAS
- Bachelor of Science (Engineering) – BSc Eng
- Bachelor of Engineering Science in Digital Arts – BEngSC (Digital Arts)
- Bachelor of Engineering Science in Biomedical Engineering – BEngSC (BME)
Faculty of Commerce, Law, and Management
- Bachelor of Economic Science (BEconSc)
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- Bachelor of Accounting Science (BAccSc)
Faculty of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Clinical Medical Practice – BCMP
- Bachelor of Dental Science – BDS
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy – BSc(OT)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy – BPharm
- Bachelor of Health Sciences – BHSc (Biomedical Sciences, Biokinetics or Health Systems Sciences)
- Bachelor of Oral Health Sciences – BOHSc
- Bachelor of Nursing – BNurs
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy – BSc(Physiotherapy)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery – MBBCh
Faculty of Science
There are different fields of study which are covered for those who desire to apply for a Bachelor of Science (BSc) Programme in this faculty. These include the following:
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
Faculty of Humanities
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre and Performance – BA (Theatre and Performance)
- Bachelor of Education – BEd
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital Arts – BA Digital Arts
- Bachelor of Audiology
- Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology
- Bachelor of Music – BMus
- Bachelor of Arts in Film and Television – BAFT
- Bachelor of Arts – BA
- Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts – BA Fine Arts
For additional information on Witwatersrand University admission and other questions that you may have, you can download the Wits undergraduate prospectus, as it contains more information.
Does Wits offer part time studies?
For prospective students who want to combine study and career development, there are Wits part-time degrees that have been selected from undergraduate degrees. The degree programmes available at the university on a part-time basis are:
- BCom Degree
- BCom/BA Degree with Law
- Honours in Psychology
- BSc Engineering
- BSc Computer Science
How do I register online at Wits?
Wits online registration is simple, and more important is the fact that the website is easy to navigate through. So, if you want to register online, all you have to do is to visit the official online application portal of the institution to create an account. Once you have done that, you would be able to log in and complete the registration process. However, here are a few things that you need to note when you are applying to the University of Wits:
- While you would be able to apply for three programmes on a maximum level, you do not have to choose in the order of preference.
- Once you apply for two programmes from a faculty, the last programme that you would apply for should be from a faculty that does not have much restrictions. An example of such is Humanities.
- Make sure that your options are as open as possible.
- Also, you do not have to enter any duration based on the programme that you are applying for since your application is for the first year of study.
- Lastly, if you are a South African citizen, you will have to pay a non-refundable application fee of R100, but if you are a foreign citizen, you must pay R700.
How do I check my application status at Wits?
Once you apply to Wits University, you do not have to relax. You must monitor the state of things with your application. As a prospective student, an important reason why you need to monitor your application is that it helps you know the most recent decision that has been made. Also, you may need to provide further documentation.
So, if you want to check the state of things with your admission, simply visit the self service portal Wits. Once you are there, you will be required to enter your student identification number which is also called your “Person number”, and afterwards, your password. Your password is your date of birth, and it is written in this format “YYMMDD”. An example of this format is 861022. Once you have correctly entered that information, you may then sign in.
Wits closing dates
Applications for 2021 are open now. But residence applications will be open on the 1st of April, 2020. There is a slight difference in the closing dates based on the programme that a prospective student may want to apply for at Witwatersrand. Currently, anyone who is hoping to apply for any of the programmes in the Faculty of Health Sciences; Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV will be able to do so till the 30th of June, 2020.
However, for any other programme that you want to apply for in any of the remaining four faculties, you still have the privilege of doing that until the 30th of September, 2020. Then, also bear in mind that residence application also closes on the same date.
My Wits self service
Among several services that students enjoy, here are a few of the services that you will have access to once you become an admitted student of the institution.
Wits self services portal
The self-service portal grants every student of the University of Witwatersrand the opportunity to do some things without stress. The self-service portal enables students to view their Residence Status (for those that it applies to), personal information, and their financial aid application. As a student, you can check and print your fees statement, update your personal information, pay your fees online, and even check your final examination results, among other things.
There is an online learning management platform that the institution has made available to both students and lecturers which is known as Wits-e. This platform helps lecturers load blended course material that students can benefit from. So, as a student, once you log in, you can get information that relates to your course, and at the same time, you will be able to submit your assignments.
Wits students email
Another service that students enjoy is personal emails. Every official information that the institution has for every student is usually sent to their Wits email address. And good enough, the account comes with 25 GB of storage, which gives room for enough storage. Detailed information on how the email works are available on the official website of the institution.
If you are privileged to study at Wits, you will be glad. As an aspiring student, you must meet the requirements before you can be considered for admission. With a superb learning environment and quality facilities available to students, the institution is worth considering when pursuing your dream for quality education.